I enjoy crocheting, and can follow a pattern - fairly well. However, when it comes to making two things that HAVE to be the exact same - I quite frankly stink at it. So, I don't attempt shoes. Well, that isn't true. I attempt them - but they go in the fail category. So, it was with dismay that I finally gave in and decided to make miss M. some shoes. I had looked at Walmart, Target, Ross, TJMaxx, Nordstrom Rack (all the usual discount places), but no cute shoes - anywhere. (I might have high standards when it comes to cute shoes....) At any rate, I finally gave in and made her shoes. I wanted to make some that would look like espadrilles, and since I scored at DI, I had plenty of yarn choices. :) I opted for a natural cotton fiber for the bottom and a linen-cotton blend for the top. I haven't put any embellishments on as yet, so we'll see if I get inspired. I used a pretty standard bottom; half double stitch for the sole, next round only in the front loop with single crochet for 2 rounds. I slip stitched around the inside to add some stiffness (it also changed the direction of the stitch from the top to the inside, which allowed for a straight top). The heel is just a triangle with a few decreases and a few holes to run the ribbon through it. The toe was worked in an arch getting progressively smaller. I looked and thought about using a fancier stitch for that, but since the linen/cotton blend isn't smooth, I didn't think it really mattered. I don't think you would have been able to see it that well. Anyway, in the end, they really aren't exactly the same - so don't look too closely. Or, if you do, just don't tell me that you can tell. I already know, but am not going to redo them; because in all probability, I would mess something else up and they would still be different.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Two Years Past - or Three
Google, being the helpful sort that they are, sent me a 'hey you haven't used this in two years; are you sure you want to keep it?...
-
Okay, so he isn't technically wearing a kimono - it is a haori. But it sounded good! It is a better picture of the haori that you w...
-
Gingermelon LolliPoppet Dolls I finally gave in, and bought one of Gingermelon's patterns. I think they are impossibly adorable. An...
baby espadrilles! i love that you put the lace to go around her ankle. now she needs some sunglasses and a big glamorous hat. --actually, i was really just excited to see that you put up a new blog post.
ReplyDeleteYou know Holly, I look forward to your posts too! But lately, all I'm getting is veggies from your site.... i.e. not Seattle!
ReplyDelete